The Africa TEDx talk conference is a global movement committed to bringing exceptional ideas worth spreading to communities around the globe.
TedxOsu conference Inspires millions of people with daily ideas and ways To Improve Africa,Tedx talk conference and impact on the minds of people in all walks of life.
TedxOsu is a community platform to impact the people of Accra and its surrounding. Osu, the heart of Accra is made up of challenging minds and variety of spirited industries of Africa.
The theme for this conference is ‘A bold Step’ where speakers will be talking about diverse ideologies in relation to this conference. Also, this conference seeks to have a forum discussion in relation to the recent rise of drug addiction in the society on the topic, ‘fighting drug addiction’
Ten 10 Speakers at the event, TedxOsu
- Bernard Avle, A Ghanaian media personality with over a decade of experience in the industry. He is presently the Operations Manager of Omni Media Ltd, an Accra-based media establishment comprising of Citi 97.3 FM, The Globe Newspaper, Citifmonline and Citi TV.
Bernard Avle is also the host of the Citi FM Breakfast Show, a current affairs flagship that was adjudged Talk/Interactive Show of the year in the BBC Africa Radio Awards in 2007. He is a product of the University of Ghana, where he obtained a 1st Class in Economics and has an MBA from the Warwick Business School in the UK.
- Francis-Xavier Sosu is a renowned Human Rights and Public Interest Lawyer, Social Protection and Child Rights Activist in Ghana. He holds BA (Hons), Sociology, LLB (Hons). BL, and an LLM (Oil and Gas Law). He is the Managing Partner of F-X Law & Associates (Human Rights Law Firm in Accra)…”
Celebrated human rights and public interest lawyer, Francis-Xavier Sosu, has been presented with a humanitarian award by the Marshal UK & the Vine Complex Ghana on Saturday July 15, 2017, in Accra.
Barrister Francis is also an author of four books: Love Lifted Me from the Street; Understanding the Storms of Life; Overcoming the Storms of Life, Becoming a Hero and now Homeless, the latest of his publications which has been assessed and recommended as a supplementary reader for all Junior High and Senior High Schools among other achievements.
- Dr.Elsie Effah Kaufmann is a Ghanaian academic and biomedical engineer and quiz mistress for the National Science and Maths Quiz [NSMQ]. She obtained her International Baccalaureate Diploma from United World College of the Atlantic in Wales in 1988. She proceeded to the University of Pennsylvania for her Bachelor of Science in Engineering (BSE), a Master of Science in Engineering (MSE) and PhD in Biomedical Engineering.
Kaufmann was a Research Supervisor at the Department of Chemistry at Rutgers University in New Jersey, United States of America (USA) from May 1998 to June 2001; after being a Teaching Assistant at the Department of Bio engineering at the University of Pennsylvania, United States of America. She was also a Senior Lecturer and the first Head of the Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Ghana (2006- 2012, 2014-2016). In 2010 she was elected to represent non-professorial academic staff on the highest
Decision-making body of the University of Ghana, the University Council, and a position she held for four years. Kaufmann was a fellow of the International Women’s Forum Leadership Foundation.
Dr. Effah Kaufmann is the 2017 Impact Africa Summit Laureate for Education in Ghana. She is also the recipient of the National Society of Black Engineers’ 2018 Golden Torch Award for International Academic Leadership in recognition of her excellence in support of academics on an international level and exhibition of commitment to the Science,Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) fields.
- Ama Pratt is a young spirited, confident and highly motivated Law, English and Sociology graduate from University of Buckingham working in Public Relations. She also has banking experience having worked with major banks in Ghana including Ghana Commercial Bank and Zenith Bank.
Ama is currently the Chief Executive Officer of M.A.P Concepts Ghana and host of a television talk show “The Couch with Ama Pratt”, themed on social issues and human interest stories on Pan African Television. As a socially impactful personality, Ama Pratt has won the humanitarian personality of the year award, at the 2017 UMB Ghana Tertiary Awards. She inspires many young ladies with her touch of ideologies shared with in the perspectives of social issues, educational and most fascinating entrepreneurship.
- John Dumelo, our fifth speaker is a Ghanaian actor and agriculturalist. He was nominated for categories Most Promising Actor and Best Actor in a Supporting Role at the 6th and 7th Africa Movie Academy Awards respectively. On 1st April 2014, he became the first Ghanaian citizen to hit a million likes on Facebook. John Dumelo is a graduate of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology [KNUST].
Aside being an actor of international recognition, John Dumelo is also an entrepreneur. He launched a clothing line in the early months of 2012. The J. Melo Line as he named it includes collections from jewelry, bags, hoodies, Jeans wear and other clothing accessories.
In immerse of his recent advocacy for Agriculture for Africa,he has influenced a lot of people into this sector. African Award winning personality own and invest more in Agriculture across Africa.
- Prof. Kwame Henaku Addo, a global development architect, educated at the Mort Lake School UK, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, and Rhode Island School of Design, USA. Prof. Kwame Henaku Addo is the Chairman of Global Enclave Developers.
He was the Regional Business Development Manager for Select Contracts – a leader in development and project management for the leisure and entertainment industry, a Senior Special Projects Officer of the Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC). Some of the awards that Prof. Kwame Henaku Addo has won include the ‘Button of Honour’ and honorary citizen of cities in the Cauca Valley State of Colombia and the prestigious Award of Merit for promoting the arts and design in South America.
He was an adviser to the governments of Venezuela and Ghana, he has worked on turkey transformational projects in the petroleum, tourism, housing and transportation industries in these countries. His most important achievements comprise the design of the architectural design of the BBVA Bank headquarters and the Colombian Commemorative Currency Note for the discovery of the Americas. Prof. Kwame Addo’s work spans for about 40 years.
- Judith Mills, born Ghanaian US based biomedical scientist, pharmacologist, health activist, adjunct biology professor and CEO of Butterfly Walkers Inc. She is a catalyst for patience advocacy, health education and provides resources for patience services.
The Lupus activist has created the awareness in major parts of the States and engaged a lot of people on behalf of the Alliance for Lupus Research founded by Woody Johnson IV. Her educational background has Bachelor of Science from Montclair State University and Masters of Science from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey.
- Kofi Asamoah, a renowned filmmaker and movie director. The CEO of Kofas Media has experienced the production of great movies in Ghana. Award winning director has made movies such as John and John, Amakye and Dede and director of the most popular Revealed by Borla Ray watched around the world. Creative director swept various awards including the City People Awards amongst others. His background in filming from the national film and television institute in 1014.
- Stonebwoy is the stage name of Livingstone Etse Satekla, a Ghanaian afropop, dancehall, reggae artiste and philanthropist. He is the CEO of Burniton Music Group. In 2015, he won Best International Act,Africa at the 2015 BET Awards and Artist of the Year at the 2015 Ghana Music Awards. He is recognized as one of the leading Reggae and Dancehall artists in Ghana. At the 2015 BET Awards, Stonebwoy became the second Ghanaian artist to win the Best International Act, Africa accolade. He was nominated for the same award in 2016 on June 16, 2017.
Released on December 12, 2017; the Epistles of Mama was dedicated to Satekla’s late mother by name Mrs. Catherine Lucy Aku Ametepi Satekla. The 24 track album features Sean Paul, King Promise, Burna Boy. The album peaked at Number thirteen (13) on Billboard chart top 200 albums worldwide. Stonebwoy established the ‘Livingstone Foundation’. In January, 2017 the foundation announced a sponsorship package for five students of the Tema Methodist Day Senior High School, his alma mater. His recent tour around the world has influenced a lot of people around the world appreciating Africa.
- Ibukun Onitijum, born Nigerian Digital Marketing expert with over 10 years’ experience in Digital Advertising, Publishing and creating highly converting Sales Funnels. He has worked with brands like Nestle, Heineken, British Council, Reckitt Benckiser, Siemens, One.org and many more to create and implement Digital Marketing Strategies. He Studied Civil Engineering with Business Management from University of Birmingham, UK. He is committed to educate Africa and innovate for businesses using Digital Marketing. He has experiences in multiple industries including Education, Engineering, Oil & Gas, Consulting, Training, Digital Marketing and Sales across 3 continents.
He is an alumnus of the Professional Development program on Innovation and Strategy at Harvard University. He was awarded as one of the Ten Outstanding Young Persons in Nigeria (TOYP) in 2015 by Junior Chamber International and inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2017. He has won multiple awards in Poetry, he is a category best-selling author on Amazon, and nominated at the Nigerian Writers Award for running a Marketplace Blog and community called Mind and Mouth with over 15,000 email subscribers who regularly hear from him
- Top Model extraordinaire, Victoria Michaels. A Social Change Advocate, Victoria’s passion for Women and Children Education led to the establishment of the Victoria Michaels Foundation – A Nonprofit organization seeking to empower women and less privileged children across Ghana. International Model Victoria Michaels has been featured on major publications like CANOE, Vogue Italia, O Yes! Enjoy and Mirror; Groomed by the legendary Kofi Ansah of blessed memory.
Victoria began her career at the age of 19 when she won as a first Runner up for the Miss Francophone Ghana Beauty Pageant. She was awarded the first Angel of hope award at the Ovation carol night where she was honored side by side with the former president of Ghana Dr. Jerry Rawlings and her mentor. A communicator per excellence, she leverages on a multifaceted experience gained from practice in PR, Marketing/Brand Communication, and Banking.
- Prof. Azumah Nelson is a Ghanaian born boxing Legend in the world. Widely considered the greatest African boxer ever, he was a three-time world champion in two different weight classes. He is currently the 17th greatest pound for pound boxer of all time in Boxer’s ranking, he held the WBC featherweight title once and the WBC super featherweight title twice. Prof. Azumah Nelson won a gold medal as an amateur at the 1978 Commonwealth Games and went 50-2 overall as an amateur. Boxing record includes: 47 Total fights, 39 Wins, 28 Wins by KO, 6 Losses, and 2 Draws.
The event is slated to happen on the 8th of September, 2018 at the Impact Hub in Osu, Accra at 9am. The organizer, Bright Tenbil and curator, Noel Nortei,promise the best of Ted talk in Africa. Powered by Hyperlink Promo Ghana, the preparations are well in focus for this conference with guests from the Osu Traditional Council and other influential figures. Reservations are limited and can be done online via egotickets.com/events/tedxosxu