2020 was really a tough year, but some artistes managed to consistently release hits after hits to excite their audience.
As it’s done annually, works of artistes are judged and awarded accordingly, and I bet that this year other than the previous years will be very competitive.
If you are an ardent music fan you possibly have an idea of musicians who dominated our airwaves and playlists; – Sarkodie, Kidi, Medikal, Kuami Eugene, Stonebwoy and Fameye are our key suggestive winners for VGMA 2021.
1. Kuami Eugene– Eugene Marfo well-known as Kuami Eugene, ever since he surfaced the music scene has never backed down. His ratings keep shooting up every day.
Having won the VGMA Artiste of the year, 2020, Kuami Eugene released an album titled ‘Son of Africa’, out of it came his hit single ‘Open gate’ which has over 12milion streams across all digital platforms.
The ‘Rockstar’ also was a blessing to almost all his features in 2020 as about 96% of the songs he was featured on were all monster hits talk of Keche – ‘No dulling’, to Sarkodie – ‘Happy Day’ among others. Kuami managed to stay relevant throughout the year and even though we weren’t in normal times, he still headlined major concerts held in open and closed doors. Privilegeamoah.com is tipping him to win artiste of the year for the second time.
2. Medikal– King of Ghana hip-hop, Samuel Frimpong, famously known as Medikal is always on top of his game with dope hip-hop tunes. He has a different style and is one of the unique rappers in the game who consistently wins fans with his style of music.
Medikal had the biggest hip-hop song in 2020 ‘La hustle’ featuring CrissWaddle and JoeyB, the song enjoyed massive airplay and had over 7million streams across digital stores; not only the song but his personality throughout last year in addition to other songs churned out was just superb. He also managed to headline a couple of major concerts even under Corona restrictions. He’s our second major tip for the VGMA 2021 artiste of the year award.
3. Stonebwoy – One of Africa’s dancehall generals and BET award winner Livingston Satekla famously known as Stonebwoy exhibited great energy and a strong personality in 2020. We experienced ‘Anloga junction‘ album with some bangers like ‘Nominate‘ featuring Kerri Hilson and ‘Everlasting‘; other solo hits released include ‘Putuu‘ and ‘Activate‘.
The bhim President was the man of the moment after pairing up with American singer Kerri Hilson on ‘Nominate’ and later followed up with a song that went super viral ‘Putuu’. These songs have over 20 million streams across all digital platforms. Stonebwoy is our 3rd major ttip for VGMA 2021 artiste of the year award.
4. Kidi– The Gyal dem sugar, Dennis Nana Dwamena, popularly known as Kidi had a great 2020 in spite of the rapid surge in the outbreak of Covid19. He has a very good voice and is a great singer who easily commands the microphone.
Kidi’s 2020 started on a good note with a monster hit single ‘Enjoyment’ released in late January, this ‘year opener’ song stayed and topped musical charts for months. Just when fans thought they had enough to jam to, the singer disturbingly ditched out another hit dubbed ‘Say Cheese’ which went viral. His two hit singles enjoyed over 15million streams and downloads across digital stores.
Throughout the year, aside from having monster hits and topping charts, Kidi’s relevancy in terms of personality was a bit questionable; his songs were big but the personality was not. kidi is our third major tip for the 2021 vgma artiste of the year.
5. Sarkodie– Africa’s best rapper, Michael Owusu Addo, globally known as Sarkodie equally had a great year with quite a few hit songs. He was in the UK when the Covid19 outbreak heightened and travel restriction was effected.
However, this didn’t restrict his creativity and went on to give fans some great music like ‘Bumper’, ‘Fa hooki me’, ‘Gimme way’ among other hits. ‘Happy Day’ featuring Kuami Eugen is Sarkdie’s monster hit in 2020. These songs have enjoyed over 20milion streams across digital stores.
The Sarkcess music boss headlined major concerts and his personality and relevancy throughout 2020 were just awesome. This King Sark! there’s nothing more to talk about and he is our 5th major tip for the 2021 VGMA artiste of the year award.